Bienvenue, Invité
Nom d'utilisateur : Mot de passe : Se souvenir de moi
  • Page :

SUJET :

Rigging the mast 08 Aoû 2022 21:38 #5584

• Lasse Pedersen
  • Portrait de Lasse Pedersen Auteur du sujet
Hello,

We are arriving port st louis this week and are putting the mast back on the boat at Port Navy Service. Do anyone know a rigger in the area? The companies on site (PSL rigging and Global Nautic have holiday all August). 

I measured the turnbuckles When we demasted, so I can put the mast on again and make it the same as it was. There was a huge difference on the turnbuckles, so I guess the mast wasnt tuned properly.

We are not so expirienced with this, so I think We need the help of someone more expirienced to get this done proper. 

Lasse

Connexion ou Créer un compte pour participer à la conversation.

Rigging the mast 08 Aoû 2022 21:39 #5585

• Lasse Pedersen
Pièces jointes :

Rigging the mast 13 Aoû 2022 10:06 #5593

Hi Lasse,
Normally your stays (port and stbd) have the same length, to allow proper rigging by measuring the gap in the turnbuckles, as you did.
Roughly rigging the mast is not so complicated and you can do it yourself provided you are organized, and a minimum of two persons :
- Start with the forestay and furler, set the pin in the same hole as originally.
- Then put the long side stays (the ones going to the mast head) and tight the turnbuckles by hand
- Now go to the aft lower stays, and tight it by hand.
Your mast is now temporarily secured and you can disconnect the crane sling.
Once released from the crane, tight your side stays and gent the measurements equal side to side. (port & stbd)
- Tight the D1(side stays going mid-mast) to get your mast straight (from the boom, look along the mast to check on the straightness. adjust D1 if needed)
- then tight the front lower stays (same turnbuckle clearance) 
- finally tight the aft lower stays (same turnbuckle clearance) 
Last step is to tight your backstay, that will pre-bend your past and straight up the fore stay.

Anyway, once the mast tuning is done, it needs to be adjusted while sailing in a smooth 10-12 kts breeze;

At least you would get the things done, and go on with the boat preparation.
Then you can afford looking for a technician to confirm the tuning.

Nicolas

Rigging the mast 10 Juil 2023 13:00 #6433

• Lasse Pedersen
Through the last year I have investigated this issue quite a bit. I have concluded that the forestay on my boat is too long. I have bought a tension gauge, so I dont operate totally in the blind.

I follow this procedure:
1. tighten the cap shrouds to 15% (650kg on  7mm wire)
2. tighten the lower forward / aft to get the correct mast bend.
3. tighten the intermediate shrouds a bit less than the cap shrouds, maybe 10%

the mast rake is about 25cm.

Then comes the problem:

When i tighten the backstay all the way, I am not able to get more tension than 750kg and the mast has a big banana bend. I think the tension on the backstay (8mm) should be approx. 1100kg, equal to 20% of the breaking load.

I have looked at other 1090s and all of them have a toggle at the bottom of the forestay, with several holes so you can adjust the length. On my boat the forestay is connected directly on the chainplate. The bot sails good, but the Genoa is sagging quite a bit.

Any smart tips? I will get a new standing rigging on the boat, but then I need to make sure that the length on the forestay is correct.

lasse

• Page :
Modérateurs: GERARD